About Naturism - Visit Us
What is Naturism?
By definition of the International Naturist Federation, "Naturism is a way of life in harmony with nature characterised by the practice of communal nudity with the intention of encouraging self-respect, respect for others and for the environment".
Naturism is the practice of going nude, especially in a mixed social setting and is a lifestyle choice. Another term for it is 'nude recreation'. It is a feeling of freedom and, for many, social nudity is personally liberating. Through it, we come not only to accept ourselves but others as well.
The benefits of naturism are wide and varied:
- physical health - despite negative publicity, sun exposure and Vitamin D provides relief and prevention from a large number of diseases
- mental health - researchers are discovering that vitamin D plays an important role in mental health and in depression
- self esteem - the naturist philosophy encourages acceptance of all people, no matter who they are or what they look like - how your body looks like becomes irrelevant 'you are you’, and we are basically all the same underneath
- freedom - the sense of freedom when you remove the 'entrapments of civilisation’ is fantastic
- connection with nature - the touch of plants against the skin and the feeling of grass under your feet awakens the tactile senses
Naturist clubs, such as Auckland Outdoor Naturist Club, offer a safe, family-friendly environment for people of all ages to experience the joys of naturism. Like a lot of clubs, we allow newcomers several visits to get used to naturism, but the expectation is that, when suitable weather conditions prevail and you feel comfortable, you will shed your clothes.
We understand that you might have a lot of questions. Will I have to undress as soon as I arrive? What if I meet someone I know? If someone is talking to me, where do I look? My body isn't perfect, will people stare and judge me? A lot of these questions, and perhaps some others that you hadn't thought of, are answered on the New Zealand Naturist Federation FAQ page.
However there is nothing like asking someone in person about their experience and how they overcame their feelings of self consciousness. So why not contact us for a visit to have a look at our facilities and discover for yourself the many benefits of naturism and what a haven AONC provides. We do charge a Day Visitor Fee of $10 per adult and visits should be arranged ahead of time to avoid disappointment of someone not being able to meet you.